Thursday 20 October 2016

NIGERIAN COMEDIAN PENS POWERFUL TRIBUTE CAPTURING ALI BABA'S LEGACY

COMEDIAN D'LECTURA
It was on a sunny afternoon on Tuesday, November 2, 2004, I called him on his mobile phone. He picked the call, I greeted, and started explaining myself to him…that I am a good comedian that came from Benin and I need his help.

He responded: ‘WHO GAVE YOU THIS NUMBER?’

I lied: ‘I saw it in a magazine’
’I NEVER GAVE THIS NUMBER TO THE PRESS, THIS IS MY VERY PRIVATE NUMBER AND IT IS ONLY MY FAMILY MEMBERS THAT CALL ME WITH THIS LINE…WHEN YOU CALL MY BUSINESS LINE, I WILL ATTEND TO YOU’
Before I could say a word, the phone went dead.
Meanwhile a good friend gave me two of his numbers and told me that the business line is always on voice mail, so I didn’t bother calling it.
I had to wait for two days before calling the business line again. I called back on Thursday, reintroduced myself and he gave me appointment to meet him in his office on Monday. I was so happy that I forgot to ask where his office is located.
I got to Eleganza building before 10am and at the reception I was directed to his office on the 9th floor.
WITH ALI BABA

Meanwhile…I was in the bus on 3rd mainland bridge when I started having stomarch upset (This one na purge o).
So as a result, I couldn’t wait for the elevator to come down…I started running through the stairs to the 9th floor.
On getting to his office, I met a Youngman who coincidentally happens to be my namesake -EMMANUEL- he was actually my saviour on that faithful day because he had to give me the key to the rest room as soon as he noticed my awkward predicament.
You can’t imagine the feeling when I noticed I was sitting down easing myself in the same place where Ali Baba does same…hahahaha…and this particular experience, gave birth to one of my top 5 jokes then. (Purge).
I came back to the office…thanked Emma and then told him I have appointment with Ali Baba, he asked me to wait that Ali Baba is busy inside.
But few minutes later a lady came out of the office and asked me to leave and re-book my appointment that Ali Baba is not on seat.
I left…but on getting to the down floor, my instinct told me to at least call him before heading back to Akute.
He picked my call the moment I called. When I told him I was in his office but was told he was not in, he sounded surprised and asked me if am sure am in his office because he is right in the office. Then I told him I was already at the ground floor. He told me to come back up but immediately asked me to wait that he is coming down.
He came down and after explaining myself…he asked me to go up-stairs, collect a pen and paper from Emma and write down six of my own jokes.
It took me hours to get this task done because most of my jokes are demonstrative jokes.
I called again on Thursday and he asked me to come on Sunday, to Meidan Hotel (now NICON HOTEL) VGC, where he used to run a comedy club every Sunday.
I got there on time and met him. He mounted the stage, performed for an hour and introduced me on stage.
ALI BABA never asked me anything about me…not even my name or my tribe.
He told the audience to encourage me that am good as he invited me on stage.
I performed that night and dazzled the audience. When it was time for me to leave…he asked me to join one of his cars. I was taken to his mansion in Lekki where I passed the night by his younger brother Efe. I saw other comedians like AY, De Don, Jedi, IGOS etc.

The next morning, breakfast was served and after eating, I found myself with other comedians sitting in Ali Baba’s private room gisting, joking & laughing for hours. When the other comedians left the room, I was alone with him and he started advising me. He told me a whole lot of things about life and the comedy industry. This was a man I met just the previous day. And those words is part of what made me who I am today. I remember he told me that day that ‘vulgar jokes will always yield more laughter…but will never get you a job’
He even gave me some money when I was leaving  (mind to mind…i was stranded that day.)
And that was how my comedy career in Lagos started professionally.
There are a whole lot of things that make him unique. ‘He Loves upcoming comedians hanging around him even in his bedroom….Ose…those memories will never fade and may God continue to bless you.
One other thing he does so well is introducing an upcoming comedian to his wealthy friends when you are with him. He does it so well in a way that elevates your spirit…making you feeling like a star and so important.
I know I am still far from where am going…but today, when I look back, I notice that I am very far from where I started.
Today I have a wonderful family and graciously doing well and comedy pays my bills. I give God all the glory…but I sincerely…I OWE THIS GREAT MAN A DEBT I CANNOT PAY.
God has really favoured you sire. You have been mightily blessed but am wishing you more blessings…wisdom and above all…I pray God to bless and favour your children’s children. The same way you have favoured us (CFR)…God will favour your generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment